MPD Community Engagement Academy:
Launched in 2015, the Community Engagement Academy allows community members to learn firsthand about police operations. Through this eight-week program, the Department provides participants with a personal view of the positive aspects and challenges that confront officers daily.
During training, participants learn about:
- The recruit training program.
- Common policing scenarios and challenges.
- Patrol Services and take station tours.
- Specialized policing units (e.g., K-9, bomb squad, harbor patrol).
- Use of Force.
- Various policing topics from command staff members.
There are three cohorts of the Community Engagement Academy held annually (Summer, Fall and Spring). Participants must undergo a basic background check prior to participation.
For more information, please complete an online interest card or contact us at:
Executive Office of the Chief of Police
Email: [email protected]
Community members from all seven police districts have participated in training, tours, discussion and presentations regarding MPD policies, practices and procedures on various police-related issues.